Sunday, July 12, 2009

How do you set up C&C cages?

I know the basics on how to make it, but can you use fleece instead of cedar? Ive seen it b4 and it looks nice. You can have their play area, and then their kitchen area has cedar in it. But if you have fleece do you still need coroplast? Also where do you get coroplast and fleece? And also, where do you get the wire tie things, because i heard the connectors dont work that well. I kno you get the grids at target, but i dont kno where to get everything else. I want it to look really cool. Also how do you clean it? Is it harder or easier? O ya, and how do you make it 2 levels? I really want to do that too. It would be great if you gave me a link to a good website with instructions and ideas. thanks =)

How do you set up C%26amp;C cages?
you can use fleece for them and you can buy the coroplast at any sign shop hope you find what your looking for if not you can message me back
Reply:For everything you need to know about c+c cages, guinea pig care etc. go to:





http://www.guineapigcages.com





It contains everything from where to buy the materials, how to build, a huge photo gallery to give you ideas etc. Go in the forum and read the "sticky" threads - there is a great one about fleece bedding.





Basically, you build the "walls" of the cage using storage grids (aka cubes). Some people find the connectors work ok, but many (like me) have to use cable ties (aka zip ties). You can get these cheap at hardware stores etc.





You then make the base (a floor and four short sides) from coroplast. Try looking in local sign shops for it, or look online. I know someone on ebay sells it - that's where I got mine.





I haven't built a second level myself so I can't help much there - but plenty of people on that website have. There are instructions on how to build ramps and steps as well.





For bedding - do NOT use cedar!!! Cedar is toxic - it causes respiratory problems and can be fatal! Alternative "loose" beddings include aspen and carefresh.





I use the fleece method myself - I find it much nicer to look at and much quicker to clean out. You need a thick bottom layer of an absorbant material on the floor of the cage - mattress pads work great, but towels or puppy pee pads are also good. You then put a single layer of fleece over the top. The fleece wicks mositure, so the pee goes down and is absorbed by the bottom layer, leaving the surface dry for the piggies. Before you use your fleece you will need to wash and dry it at least 5 times to get it to wick properly. Do not use any fabric softener/conditioner on the fleece as this will stop it wicking.


Cleaning out with fleece involves hoovering or sweeping up poos at least once a day! Piggies poop a LOT, so you need to clean them up daily or they will be sitting in them. Then about once a week (depending on the size of your cage) you hoover the poos, then throw the fleece and pads/towels in the wash. Simple.





Definately visit the link I gave you - it has everything you need, and if you still have questions post on the forum and people will be happy to help. Enjoy your c+c - I love mine!


No comments:

Post a Comment